Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Synchronize bookmarks between browsers - BookmarkBridge

I used to rely heavily on some nifty key combos to open websites I often visited. For instance, I'd hit "win,a,f" to bring up the Start Menu, open the favorites list, and then select the (only) item starting with 'f' - thus launching my browser and loading FARK. All this was peachy when I used IE as my main browser and updates to Favorites immediately appeared off of the Start Menu.

Not so after moving to Firefox - it rightly stores its bookmarks separately. So that means that no matter what I do with my bookmarks in Firefox, the Favorites list off of the Start Menu never changes. And as far as I've been able to tell there is no setting to export your bookmarks back to IE's Favorites. Nor have I been able to find a useful extension to do this either.

So, in what's almost becoming my MO for finding software these days, I headed to SourceForge and found BookmarkBridge. It's not pretty, and it took a little extra effort from me, but I got it to work. The program does one thing and that's merge bookmarks from one browser to another. Unfortunately, while it auto-detected Mozilla and IE, it didn't pick up Firefox. Having messed around with my profile enough times I knew where to find the bookmarks file ( \documents and settings\username\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\default.xxx\bookmarks.html ), so I added Firefox to the list and was set. And now I can just run it whenever I want my bookmarks exported back to IE (or to Mozilla, or from any browser to any other).

Hopefully a future release of Firefox will support this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home